So last week, I had a wedding shoot with my friend Ronalyn Concepcion, in San Diego, at the North Chapel. As usual, I was the second shooter, which actually isn’t such a bad gig when you think about it. Sure you don’t make as much money, but let’s face it you have less stress and the biggie for me no client editing. 🙂 As a San Diego Wedding Photographer, you seem to walk away with new pearl of wisdom every time.
- First of all always, arrive early. I cannot stress this enough. I can’t tell you the number of times that has saved me by being able to give me a little extra time for any changes that may have accrued, since you did your walk-through.
- The shot list is not written in stone and remember the client is always right. Be flexible with the clients and you will have a happy client, which means good reviews and possible some extra dough, in the form of a tip.
- Clean and inventory your equipment the day before. You don’t want to arrive on location, just to find out that your lenses have seen better days or your forgot to bring extra batteries. Remember my slogan Be Prepared, because you never know what will go wrong.
- Communication is key. This applies to life as well, but mostly during the shoot. There are going to be situations, where the primary photographer cannot get to a certain spot, at the right time but you can. Even though, they said that it was their shot, let him or her know you can and take the shot.
- One of my favorite tips, work with the wedding planner. He or she will tell you exactly what is going on and when. They can even grant you access or make things happen for you, if you ask nicely. Better yet, treat everyone nice, because if this is your bag, then more than likely you will be running to these people again, in your life. So remember the “Golden Rule” and do unto others.
I hope I have not bored you too much. I had a lot of fun writing this one like all of my blogs. I trust I have given you some valuable tips to think about, before planning your next shoot. It’s not all bad, just be clear and informative, it will save you a lot of headaches. Remember nothing is set in stone and there is not a perfect formula, so go out and have some fun.